Transferring archives of old messages from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 is done automatically if you are updating an instance of the software on the same computer. However, if you need to transfer the archives from a computer that has Outlook 2003 to another that has Outlook 2007, there are some preliminary steps you need to take to make sure that it is done correctly and that your archives are up-to-date. After you do this work, you’ll need only a couple of steps to save the archives to a disk or disk drive and then upload them to another computer.
Creating an Archive file on Outlook 2003
1. Open Microsoft Outlook 2003. Click on “Go” and “Folder List.”
2. Highlight the folder or folders that you want to archive. To select more than one folder, hold down “Ctrl” while clicking on the folder in the list.
3. Click “File” and “Archive.”The “Archive” dialog box appears. Make sure that the radio dial next to “Archive this folder and all the sub folders” is selected.
4. Choose a date from when you want the archive to start in the “Archive items older than” drop-down menu.
5. Click the “Browse” button to select the location you want the archive file to save to. If you are using a flash drive to transfer the archive file to another computer, save the file directly to the flash drive. If you are using a CD, save the file to a folder that is easy to get to where you can burn it to the disk at a later time. Click “OK” to finish saving the archive file.
Transferring the file to Outlook 2007
1. Save the archive file from Section 1 onto a portable storage media. If you saved the file to a flash drive in the last step, you are fine. If you saved it to a folder on the hard drive, you will need to save it to a flash drive, floppy disk or CD-ROM, from which you can transfer it to another computer.
2. Insert the drive or disk in the computer that has Microsoft Outlook 2007.
3.Open Microsoft office Outlook 2007. Click on “File” “Open” and “Outlook Data File.” Navigate to the storage media that the archived material is saved on. Click on the .pst file on the storage media and click “OK”. Outlook will import the archive from the 2003 version into Outlook 2007.